Wednesday 7 March 2012

Day 12 and my pre-op assessment

Had been looking forwards to today for ages, arranged for my SIL to have my youngest, the other 5 were going to school so it was perfect except that she was going to take my youngest with her in the morning - I thought hmmmm, we'll pop into IKEA for lunch before going to the cochlear implant centre - meatballs nom nom! After my assessment, we had planned to visit a friend who had her implant yesterday and she needed a few things so was going to drop it off.

Felt surreal going out of the house, had a cap to hide my really greasy hair, didn't wobble to the car, I walked perfectly as long as I didn't turn my head too quick. Popped into sainsburys for a few bits my friend asked for and we were en-route to southampton.

Ikea for lunch mmmm, I felt a bit wobbly with loads of people around, I knew I wasn't ready to go out but I wanted my meatballs! Held onto lee's hands most of the time to guide me and often had to tell him to slow down with his walking as was struggling to keep in line with him, he was more or less pulling me along and at the same time trying not to fall (bloody men!)

Arrived at the cochlear implant centre, saw my surgeon who removed the wadding from my ear, ah ah ah ouch ouch, it was yellow and approx 30-40cms long (how they managed to fit it in my ear canal - I have no idea), Mr Hellier seemed pleased with the insides of my ear and then proceeded to take the plaster off my incision, I kept telling him to be careful and going ohh oohh oh ow ah ah when he just pulled it off with ease and no stickiness at all, except for my plaster that I had put on top of the existing plaster because it was falling off and my hair stuck onto the plaster and pulled most of my hair out! Ooowwwwwwwwwwwww!



He seemed pleased with how well the scar is healing but wasn't impressed with the soft lump on top of my scar next to my ear, on my head and said there's fluid inside, it's normal and sometimes can happen. I explained to him that it was hurting a lot and when I got stressed at home after doing some stuff, he gave me a ticking off and said I should be resting and resting a lot more in order to get better so I think I did too much too soon! :-( a lesson in life learnt.

Said I can wash my hair but to keep the scar dry as it's still healing and for the lump of fluid to go down with ease...how can I do that in the shower or in the bath, I'll work that one out tomorrow even though I made a promise to myself that having a shower will be the first thing I do, but no, like I said - too much, too soon....and have been told to come back in two weeks to see how my ear is doing and whether if the lump of fluid has gone down, not been given a switch on date so I left my surgeon's office feeling a bit dejected.

I had another appointment while I was there, took a bit longer than planned as I wasn't given choices for the AB Neptune device as it's to be used for swimming and I was offered that as well if I do go for AB Harmony in which I did and had to go through all the forms of choosing colours etc etc which I should have done at my last appointment.

Upon visiting my friend, she seemed fine and said she had no dizziness etc and felt fine and have been told that she could go home, I warned her, it'll come and have advised her to rest and told her about my appt with my surgeon and my mistake for not resting as her mum said that the best thing for her was to keep going as normal while recovering - said that's the worst thing to do, but upon my leaving, she got up and said oh, i feel a bit light headed! Told her good luck at home and I left.

Upon coming back home, I really wanted to rest as it was a long day, so have been ordered to bed early, about 8pm armed with my laptop and got the telly on, my ear felt heavy as if I have weights tied to my ear and was pulling it off - not a nice feeling and the numbness is subsiding on the sides of my ear alone, just the top part of ear but can feel the rest of it no problems, I don't like the taste of coffee anymore so have been drinking a lot of tea and I am NOT a tea drinker LOL......

I intend to rest a lot more this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment